Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Shoes in the Garden


It's Wednesday again, which means I rushed home, grabbed my camera, and got some shoe shots for you. In the column to the right of this post, I'm going to set up a little poll to see if you're beginning to find My Shoes Wednesday a bit old, or if you'd like to see how much longer I can keep finding shoes in the back of my closet. (And if you do like the feature and want to see some older posts, I've got a set of links in the column on the right.) Meanwhile, I do have another pair that I love, especially since the heeled oxford seems to be a big hit this fall and my pair are 5 or 6 years old! I'd buy them again tomorrow if I saw them, but I've already had years since I first spotted them in a shop window in one of those twisty little streets in Quebec City. We were fortunate enough to be staying up the hill in the Chateau Frontenac where Paul was at a meeting, so I made a mental map so as to be able to find the store again (with more success than when I tried to get back to a certain shoe store in Paris), and I went back the next day to try them on. They had my size, I put them on and loved them, and we've been together ever since. Check out the cool stitching -- they remind me of the leatherwork that was so popular in the late 60s/early 70s. And you can't see clearly here, but where the horizontal pieces overlap (with the daisies in their centre), they leave little cut-outs where the foot peeps through.

I probably should have gotten in a bit closer for you to see the detail of the heels -- they're stacked for a classic but funky look, in my opinion. And see how they just want to walk -- They're by a company called Joe Sanchez and inside they say "Keep on Walking." I'm not going to claim they're wonderfully comfortable -- you'd look at the heel and know I'd be lying -- but they're not bad at all. Above all, even if these shoes are out walking in the garden, they are truly a fall shoe, and wearing them this week meant I was really acknowledging the season. In fact, I'm almost ready to embrace it, not just acknowledge it. After all, look at some of these colours:

A miscanthus in its full autumn glorySedum spectabile 'Autumn splendour' -- I've been waiting years for mine to finally put on a good show -- this year they're making me very happy -- that's the gentian sage providing the spark of blue in the lower left.

And another plant that's finally hit that maturity point where it's beginning to do what I hoped. Parthenocissus tricuspidata, aka Boston ivy, but I'm not sure which one, and haven't got the time right now to look it up -- sorry! It's just beginning to turn and I hope it will flame red all the way up that trunk

4 comments:

  1. Parthenocissus tricuspidata, aka Boston Ivy. One of my faves, but it doesn't get cold enough here to for this to thrive or put on a colorful display.

    Love those shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute shoes! i love how timeless they look. I think your shoes wednesday is great, but am wondering how much longer you can keep it up (ie how big *is* your shoe closet??). but perhaps I'm underestimating you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't quit on accounta me. I just bought a completely unnecessary pair of boots (on sale) that I've coveted for years (two years). I am justifying new purchases through my recent banning of heels and donating all casualities to my babysitters.

    Is anyone else having trouble getting through to Manolo?! I'm bereft!

    ReplyDelete
  4. deja: thanks for the info. I'll add that up above.
    Bronwen: well, if I run out, maybe you could do some guest posting for me -- you've got some cool shoes?!
    Dana: Yes, what's happened to Manolo -- some kind of technical difficulties -- bereft is right!
    I'd love to hear more about those boots and how sweet they must feel after two years of delaying the gratification of bootlust. And I bet you've got some happy sitters!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your response to my post. Agree, disagree, even go off on a tangent, I love to know you're out there, readers. Let's chat, shall we? I apologize, though, for the temporary necessity of the Word Verification -- spam comments have been tiresomely numerous lately, and I'm hoping to break that pattern.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...