So those of you who know me, yet were surprised to learn how full my shoe closets are (as if I have such a luxury as shoe closets!), may begin guessing at the size of my yarn stash. Those who don't know me may begin to feel as if they do, especially if they're knitters or, perhaps, collectors of any kind, depending on how they evaluate said stash.
Although my yarn collection has been growing over the past few years, I haven't felt any compulsion to catalogue it, as I could on the brilliant knitting database site that is Ravelry (still in its Beta stage and not open to the public, but you can request an invitation and get in the queue). I did start trying to knit more and more from stash in the last year, especially for Christmas gifts such as wristwarmers, hats, and scarves. Despite these attempts, the yarn was taking over more and more space in an otherwise-designated closet, and to recover space, trim the budget, and reduce consumption a wee bit, I'm joining my first group on Ravelry (besides organizing, it provides several Facebook-like socializing options): Mission Possible 2008. Members of this group must commit to identifying 12 items from their stash and remove them from stash by the end of 2008.
1. and 2.
Here is the oldest yarn in my stash. In the bag on the right is all the Pingouin chenille needed to make a very cute sweater and I've even included the pattern. I don't like the look of the finished textile and doubt that blocking will make much difference. Besides, the yarn kept snapping in the row below and after that's happened three times, it's time to quit!
Chunky orange chenille, two skeins, intended for making cushion covers, but again, the finished fabric gave no joy and I lost interest.
Even more shameful is the abandoning of this Italian Velvet novelty yarn (by Drops), also intended cushion cover. The shame comes in the $25.00 or so spent on this skein which I have never even got onto a needle!
5. 6. and 7.
5. 9, yes 9! 50-gram balls of NZNaturally magic garden Cotton Candy Baby DK in a sage-y colour – I bought this about 6 years ago for a long tunic-like cabled sweater that I got very weary of knitting and realized I wasn’t even going to like it. Since then, I’ve made two baby sweaters from the frogged yarn and some of the intact skeins, but I still have 450 grams left!
6. This bag also contains 100-gram skein of Patons Classic Wool Merino, dark green, leftover from an afghan I knit 6 or 7 years ago. I didn’t like the way this felted when I washed it (Delicate Cycle).
7. 1 small skein (no label) Variegated purple novelty “eyelash” yarn – barely enough for one short scarf and I’ve had my fill of these.
OKAY, so as I understand the rules of Mission Possible, I'm allowed to give away, and that's what I'm doing with all of the above -- What did that little fly-killing tailor brag? (You remember that folk tale?) Seven at one stroke? That's me! A friend of mine who's at the young family stage that doesn't leave lots of budget for yarn has accepted my offer and is taking these off my hands. Thank you, Helen!
8. and 9.
In November, I found that the second expected baby I was knitting for turned out to be a girl. No Rocketry Cardigan for her, so I ordered two more Tulip kits. (I know, you're wondering why two. Me too. But you know, once I get Lily-Anne's finished, I want one of each for the next baby to come along. It makes sense, right?)
This is a stash-busting project that I began last year, using up yarn leftover from a Fleece Artist afghan kit. It looks as if it's not going to be enough for a long scarf, but I'm thinking I'll knit a buttonhole several inches from the end and find a cool big button so that it can be a short scarf that still fastens well.
With all the working from stash I tried to do before Christmas, I never let myself even unwind, let alone cast on, this gorgeous Cashmere 2Ply from Handmaiden. I'm thinking either fingerless mitts or very short (anklet) socks.
2 skeins of Handmaiden Seasilk, bought January 2007 on sale and intended for a scarf – in fact, I started one and frogged it because the pattern didn’t suit the yarn variegation. I’d love to finish this – unfortunately, I suspect I have enough for two scarves!
Here's an assortment of mohairs, including enough KidSeta for a a scarf or cowl -- that beautiful beaded piece -- Ice Queen -- in the winter Knitty.
I have already made two berets from the Kid Classic I had left over from the Cable Front Pullover I made from VK last year. And there's still almost three skeins left. This might end up in the throw I'm planning.